Now a days, we all are do our business or personal activities faster through the various communications, and it is important part in our day to day routine also we do uses kind of channels for communication. I have brought this article on effective communication skills for all of you and it will help you to increase awareness regarding various communication skills.
Effective Communication Skills
At first you need to go through objectives as:
- Communication skills and their importance
- The communication process
- Barriers in communication
- Perspectives in communication
- Elements of communication
- Communication styles
- Basic listening skills
- Questioning skills
- Effective written communication
Communication is the art and process of creating and sharing ideas. Effective communication depends on the richness of those ideas.
Why is communication important?
- Gets your point across
- Educates and Informs
- Allows greater understanding and develops relationships
- Provides feedback
- Stimulates new ideas
- Helps in making decisions
- Coordinates workflow
- Promotes products and services
- Influences and Persuades
- Inspires confidence and develops a distinct personality
The Communication Process
BARRIERS TO EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION
Potential Barriers to effective communication
Some barriers to communication that cause conflict in groups
- Lack of Clear Goals
- Facts vs. Feelings
- Fighting Fair
- Misunderstandings and Misconceptions
Measures to overcome the Barriers
- Clarify ideas before communication
- Communicate according to the need of the receiver
- Consult others before communication
- Be aware of language, tone and content of message
- Ensure proper feedback
- Consistency of message
- Be a good listener
- We listen for multiple reasons:
- To build relationships
- To understand others
- To be entertained
- To show empathy
- To gather information
- To persuade and negotiate better
- Multitasking is dangerous for mind development.
- An important tool for becoming a good listener is becoming aware of own behavior, feelings, and habits when listening.
How to become an active listener?
- Pay close attention:
- Look the speaker in the eyes
- Stop any mental chatter
- Don’t start preparing your response while the other person is talking
- Make sure your environment doesn’t distract your
- Notice the speaker’s body language and tone of voice – non verbal messages
- If you are in a group, avoid side conversations
- As you now aware about listener, listening, barriers in above section this is major part of an effective communication skills, you should be the good listener.
Demonstrate physically that you are listening:
- Nod from time to time, when appropriate
- Use appropriate facial expressions
- Monitor your own body language. Be sure you remain open and relaxed rather than closed and tense
- Use small comments like uh-huh, yes, right
Check for understanding:
- Use personal experiences, perceptions and feelings but not biased
- Check that you heard the message correctly
- Ask questions that will help clarify the speaker’s meaning
- Summarize what you have heard occasionally – don’t wait until the end or you might not remember what exactly was said
- Respond appropriately:
- Be honest and open
- Be respectful for the speaker as well as for the information
- Be thorough
- There can be different ways of seeing the same thing.
- The previous pictures show that there is more than one way to perceive the picture.
- Similarly, there is usually more than one way to see any situation we encounter.
The same words can have very different meanings depending on how we interpret them.
A woman without her man is nothing.
A woman, without her, man is nothing.
- Facial Expression
- The way people stand or sit
- Gestures with arms or hands
- Eye contact
- Breathing rate
- Swallowing or Coughing
I tried to mention as much as possible information about effective communication skills article on knowledgesure also I will bring some more information in my next article.
Please share your suggestion and feedbacks
Thanks for reading!!